Tuesday, May 09, 2006

California!



This weekend we went to California for the Division I National Rugby Championships. Utah was ranked 4 and played the number 1 ranked University of California Berkley. We lost 30-11, but it was a really good game. They played us last year in the championship game and killed us, so this was a much better showing. They've won 23 of the last 27 national titles so really...they're good. They ended up playing BYU in the championship this year and won again. I had mixed feelings about that game because I do think that Cal needs to be beaten, but I didn't want BYU winning because we'd hear about it all the time and I DO NOT like the BYU rugby team. You'd think that since they're a church school they'd have some standards....NOPE. They are the cheapest, dirtiest team Utah has ever played. So, I ended up being happy that Cal won again, even though I wish Utah would have kicked their butts. Plus, this was Adam's last year playing at the U so he was sad that it is all over now.


After they lost, we had more time to play and do some fun stuff so the next day we all went to the beach. It was a nice day in Palo Alto (where Stanford University is and where the games were held), but at the beach (Half Moon Bay) it was of course overcast and windy. I wasn't too excited to go play in the sand when we first stepped out of the car and all I had was a flimsy jacket, capri's, and flip flops, but once we walked down to the shore and started playing around, it was a blast. I totally felt (and acted) like a little kid letting the waves splash up on my feet and forcing Adam to play tag with me. I wrote 'K + A' in the sand with my feet and made little hearts. We built a little sand volcano since we didn't have buckets to build an actual castle with and collected sea shells. It was so much fun. I want to go back again without Adam's WHOLE ENTIRE FAMILY so we can do and see some more things we didn't have time for.


I'm sure you're asking yourself how we chose to make the adventure to California. Most people who would be taking a 3 year old and their mother-in-law would opt to fly, but for the second year in a row...we drove. The drive there actually wasn't too bad. Kailye watched DVD's and for the most part was pretty good.

(Trish & Kailye playing in the helicopter at 'King Hamburger')

It was a fun trip, even though I wish it could have lasted longer. I really like the Bay area and especially enjoy In-N-Out Burger. We only ate there once on the whole trip (as opposed to about 4 times last year) which is a bit disappointing, but still it made me very happy.



I totally love that they have only 5 things on their entire menu. I kind of wish they had In-N-Outs in Utah, but I think they might lose some of their appeal if I could eat there any time I wanted.

Yay for our trip, it was great fun!

3 Comments:

  • Man, Kik, you are such a good sport! I hope Adam realized how gracious you were. I'm glad you had a fun time at the beach---I'm totally jealous. I can't wait to see you this weekend!

    By Blogger Katie, at 12:30 PM  

  • I was thinking you were pretty bold in speaking about the in-laws, until I read that they are not privy to your blog. What a blessing, huh? At least you have a place to "let go."

    P.S. Of course I remember you!

    By Blogger Gwen, at 4:35 PM  

  • Man, when I re-read this, I sound so negative! Sorry for the venting! I'm really a nice person, I promise!

    By Blogger Kari, at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home