Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Encounter With The Ex-Plig

Ahhh polygamy...

So today I had an appointment to renew someone's advertising and since we were both coming from different directions in the valley, we decided to meet at Village Inn in a central location for both of us. I got there and we started talking about his company and whatnot and he gets a phone call from one of his kids. When he hung up, he told me that he has 2 children that don't live with him and that they come spend one night a week with him and his family and that tonight is that night. I then asked how many kids he has and he told me he has eleven. I didn't really think too much of it because I know lots of big families with lots of kids. He said that he has 10 brothers and sisters and his wife came from a family of 14 so again, I just thought that it was kind of a tradition.

Later, he gets another call and before answering, he looks at me and says, "I'm gonna have a story to tell you in just a minute," and kind of smiles and proceeds to take the call. I'm just sitting there kind of looking over his ads and stuff and he asks to borrow my pen and is kind of frantically looking for some paper to write on. I give him one of my papers (even though I actually needed it) and he starts writing down a phone number...followed by a name...followed by "FBI". All the while, I'm of course getting more and more curious, but I had a sneaking suspision that I knew what it was about (the thought had crossed my mind when I saw his last name on the contract, but I really didn't think he would actually be related and I wasn't about to ask).

So he continues to talk to the person on the phone and is asking if he will be flown out tomorrow morning. After a few more minutes, the conversation ends and I'm just about dying to know exactly what is going on. He says to me, "So have you been watching the news lately?" Yep, turns out I have, and the man across the table from me is a very close relative of a certain plig, most recently added to the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted List! He hasn't seen said criminal in many many years but they want him to go with one of his brothers to go see another of their brothers who is keeping quiet about information he knows regarding the whereabouts of this guy.

We continued to talk and I found out that my customer is no longer a plig...he had 3 wives at one point. He was born into the practice and was the son of the prophet at that time! Then he says, "I have to tell you something...I don't really have 11 kids...I have 20. I have 11 kids with my first wife (who he is still married to), but altogether I have sired 20 children". I totally love that he used the word "sired" and said it in all seriousness! He doesn't practice any form of formalized religion now and like I said, no longer a plig. He was a very nice man and was very interesting to me. We had to cut our meeting short due to the fact that he needed to call the FBI. Hmmm....weird how some things take precidence. I am definitely excited to meet with him again next week and see what he has in store.

3 Comments:

  • Duhn, Duhn, DUUUHN! I'll be watching for updates.

    By Blogger Gwen, at 8:24 AM  

  • You met Warren Jeffs brother?????? Wow. Aren't you glad you met in a public place? You should have told him that Your Sister's Friend The Polygamist made you an offer to be Number 4! Hahahaha!

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:25 PM  

  • Creepy story... I am captivated. Yes, looking for updates...

    By Blogger Gina, at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home