Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My Memorial Day Weekend

This has really been a pretty good weekend. Friday my boss called me and asked if Adam & I wanted to play golf with some other people from our company. Of course, we are never ones to pass up free golf, so we went and had a really fun time. We haven't played together since last summer so it was really fun to get back out there and see how we would do. Pretty much I smoked Adam, even though he'll totally tell you a different story. ;)

Saturday we slept in and it was excellent. I feel a little embarassed to actually admit to people in general how late we can sleep in...but honestly, we can totally sleep till like 11:00... and sometimes later. Usually we'll both wake up at some point before then, but will either ignore it and go back to sleep or the other one will persuade the waking one to come back and snuggle for just "5 more minutes", which of course ends up being hours. People tell me that I should just be grateful that we can do that now because when we have kids that will no longer be an option, but I still do feel pretty lazy for allowing myself to waste half of an entire day in bed. Oh well, I really do love sleep, so I'll just take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts.

After we drug ourselves out of bed, we eventually went over to Adam's dad's house for dinner with the fam. One of his dad's cousins was passing through town so it was fun to see him and his son. After dinner, we went and saw "Over the Hedge". It was an ok show, but nothing I would say can't be seen in the dollar theater or rented and watched at home. The 50 year old man who sat behind us, however, would definitely differ, as his incessant laughter nearly halted his breath on more than one occasion.

Sunday we went to church and actually got there on time! (Ok, we were five minutes late, but who's counting?) Granted, our church starts at 11:00, which is by no means early for normal human beings, but I remind you to read my second paragraph and imagine how some Sunday's turn out for Adam and Kari. I swear, we really are not inactive and we really are out of town a lot and when we are here, we really do usually make it to church on time, or close to on time. I hate it when people who have been in our ward for less time than we have ask us, "Are you guys new in the ward? I don't think I've seen you before." Yes, it makes me feel like an idiot. Luckily, no one asked us that yesterday, so it was nice. Later that evening, we went back over to Adam's dad's house to watch a movie with Cousin Charles and hang out some more before they left to head back home. I was telling Peggy (Adam's step-mom) how much I wanted to so something this weekend and she suggested we go on a drive up the canyon and eat breakfast at the Silver Fork Lodge. I begged Adam and with the help of Dan & Peggy, was able to convince him that this would be a good idea.

I set my alarm and got up right on time to be ready to leave at 7:00 am, but Adam, thinking that he would be the wise teacher, did not cooperate very well with the wake-up agreement. He decided that sometimes, he wants to do things and I either say "not right now" or "I'm so tired", so he needed to show me that I can't always get what I want because he doesn't always get what he wants. He tried to exercise the "Honk-Shoe Clause" (honk-shoe= the sound for snoring) and not get out of bed. Eventually, I won by stealing all the covers and pillows and turning on the lights and singing annoying improv songs about taking me up the canyon.

I was totally hoping we would see a moose, but all we saw was a deer. It was a beautiful morning though and our breakfast was very tasty. As you might have guessed, after getting up at such an hour, we pretty much needed a nap, so we came back home and slept a little more. Then we did some shopping and went to another family function, this time with his mom's side. I have to start working in Cache Valley this week so I'm glad I got to have such a relaxing weekend.

4 Comments:

  • Rolling about the "Honk-Shoe Clause". Kik, I think you're so funny!

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:02 PM  

  • Yes, we...or rather I...use the "Honk-Shoe Clause" on a number of occasions. Works like a charm.

    By Blogger Kari, at 9:32 PM  

  • This is such a funny post! Love your writing! Ditto on what Kate said. And the second paragraph makes me miss my former self soooooooo much! Sleep and I were best friends, now we are estranged. It's really sad.

    By Blogger Gina, at 10:08 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Gina, at 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home