Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Germophobe?

Ok, I don't know what is with me lately, but I feel like I am becoming a total germophobe!! And what frightens me even more is that I never used to worry as much about the things I worry about now, so does that mean I was just gross before for not caring? I think it's probably because I'm getting older and I'm starting to become a little smarter, but here is a list of things that totally gross me out lately.

1. Door handles! Bathroom door handles, of course, seem to be the ones that disgust me the most, but even doors and handles that you have to touch in general are making me feel unclean! If I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt or jacket, I totally put my hand inside of it so I don't have to actually touch the apparatus. And if I'm walking through a door behind someone, I use my elbow or foot to keep the door open just so I don't have to touch it. If I do end up touching one, I wipe my hand on my pants right afterwards (like that's really going to help, but I think it makes me feel a little less grossed out).

2. Railings. I didn't really used to think of these as being complete cestpools for bacteria until in college when someone else pointed out to me that they probably hardly ever get cleaned by janatorial staff. I used to use them and enjoy the feeling of safety while walking up or down stairs, but now, I try very hard to keep my balance sans handrail.

3. Toilets! Honestly--seat protectors should be required in all public restrooms, especially the yuckiest ones like at gas stations and convenience stores.

4. Gym Equipment, money, animals, and shopping carts. Need I say more?

I'm totally a hand sanitizer girl now and feel so gross if I've gone more than a couple hours without washing my hands, whether I've come in contact with any of the aforementined items or not. I don't think I'm being unreasonable about anything really; I think it really is just good common sense to want to be as germ-free as possible, but did this transition happen to all of you as you got older or were you like that all along?

3 Comments:

  • I get like that right after my babies are born. I was totally psyco after the twins came home. Smith's has these little anti-bacterial wipes next to the shopping carts and the meat section. I love that. You'll know you're close to the edge when you have hand sanitizer gel on your key chain. Watch out!

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:53 PM  

  • I used to be very sensitive to germs, but after a weekend in my mother-in-laws house, I think I can survive any onslaught of the little critters!

    By Blogger Gwen, at 12:40 AM  

  • Yeah, I was aware before, but when the baby came, I was super-aware! Add to list: Keys, floors, walls, cats, changing tables, high chairs, etc.

    I love the Medela antibacterial wipes. I have packets of them in my purse for grocery carts and high chairs when we go out! LOVE EM!

    By Blogger Gina, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home