Monday, October 16, 2006

What? No Crisp Bean Burritos?

(This is a letter to the editor from the newspaper at Utah State. I thought it was funny, so I cut it out when I was a sophomore...or maybe a junior...I don't remember and of course I didn't write a date on it. But anyway, I liked it, so enjoy!)

Editor,

Sometimes being on a budget is tough, but in some ways it transforms the little joys of life into momentous occasions.

Recently, I had great reason to rejoice. Through careful planning and some luck of finding 35 cents in the Merrill Library stairwell, I saved enough money to buy a little treat during a study break. At 5:30 p.m. I ran over to the HUB [food court in the student union building] to get a brand new Crisp Bean Burrito, fresh from its warm oily bath.

"One Crisp Bean Burrito, fresh from its warm oily bath please. What? You don't have any? OK, never mind." I was crushed. The person standing behind the counter said they had some other stuff, but it would take a lot more then my 35-cent jackpot to get that.

I looked at the clock and it said 5:40. So I checked the signs and confirmed Taco Time is supposed to close at 6 p.m., but all of their supplies were already saran-wrapped up. I wanted to say something, but when I talk while trying to hold back tears I end up hyperventilating.

That's actually not the real reason I didn't say anything. I could have said, "But the sign says you're open until 6." Or, "GIVE ME A CRISP BEAN BURRITO, FRESH FROM ITS WARM OILY BATH, NOW!" Yeah, I could have tried that, but I already realize that 40 percent of pre-made food has some kind of unwanted special ingredient from the cook. I'll never do anything to someone at a restaurant or fast food joint to increase those odds.

I could have a server calling me names, laughing at my gut, or insulting my dog. But I would never be rude back. It doesn't take much to change those 40 percent odds to 75 percent.

Now, even without those odds, I think I would still have been kind. I don't want to be mean. All I really want is a Crisp Bean Burrito, fresh from its oily bath."

-Chad Mano

1 Comments:

  • Do they really cost only 35 cents? You can't even mail a letter that cheap!

    By Blogger Gwen, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home