Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Trip to the Aquarium

This weekend my coworkers and I went to Monterey (again!) to get some fresh chowdah and see the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Mmmm....the chowdah (isn't it just more fun saying it that way?) was good...and so were the fish & chips. YUM! I like sea food, especially fresh seafood. I'm excited to go to Seattle the week after next to eat some more! Anyway, can we all tell that I like to eat?

Back to the post. So the aquarium. It was so cool! I really like stuff like that and they have a lot of really neat exhibits. They have tons of different kinds of jellyfish and they look so cool. There is a HUGE 1 million gallon outer bay exhibit with sharks, barracuda, stingrays, sea turtles (or so they claim...we didn't see any), blue fin tuna, and this:



Can you believe this thing? Do you know what it is? Go ahead, take some guesses.













It's an ocean sunfish, a.k.a. mola mola. It is the weirdest looking sea creature I have ever seen.


It is huge! I don't know exactly how big the one at the aquarium is, but they can be up to 11 feet long and weigh 5000 pounds!! It looks like someone cut the head off of a whale or something and it just healed itself and keeps slowly swimming around. Here are some more pictures so you can really get a feel how odd they really are.








CRAZY, HUH?!

4 Comments:

  • VERY ODD! Thanks for the sea lesson... I've never heard of this animal!

    By Blogger Gina, at 12:44 AM  

  • Wow!! That IS crazy!! I love going to aquariums like that one. The Dallas Aquarium rocks...my hubbys family is from there..so we've been there several times. It amazes me everytime!

    Thanx for stopping by my blog....and yes....it HAD to be waaaay under a minute that you found that guy in the beans...I'll back you up on that one. ha!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 AM  

  • That is the craziest looking animal EVER. Your description was right on. WEIRD!!!

    By Blogger Nicole, at 9:49 AM  

  • I was going to guess it was a giant fist with fins...

    By Blogger Gwen, at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home