Sunday, January 14, 2007

Nothin' Like a Good Day Trip

For my first weekend in Califonia sans husband or any other plans, my two coworkers and I took a little day trip to see the surrounding sights. First we drove to Santa Cruz and went to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The drive there from Morgan Hill was so awesome! We took a little two lane road that wound through hills and tall, tall trees with bright green moss growing up the trunks. Once we reached the top of the road, there were several pull-out points with terrific panoramic views of the valleys and the ocean in the horizon. It was really such a great road! The Boardwalk was pretty cool. They had limited operation because it's January and all, so we only rode one ride--The Hurricane--but it was fun! Too short, because I like rollercoasters and it's been forever since I've been on one, but fun nonetheless. The famous rollercoaster, The Giant Dipper, was closed down while they are doing some rebuilding on the boardwalk, so we didn't get to ride it. I was kinda bummed about that because that's a pretty popular one, but that's ok.

From Santa Cruz, we went to Monterey, and I have decided that I really like northern California and the Bay area! We went to the Bay and it climbed around on the rocks and watched the ocean. I even saw some sea otters out in the water and I was so happy! I REALLY wanted to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but I don't think anyone else wanted to go, plus it's $25 to get in, so we skipped it.


(You'll have to click on this picture to enlarge it. I'm not sure if it's the exact place where we were today, but it looks really similar.)

We didn't really do much else during our little outing, but it was a nice, nearly free little excursion! I'd like to come again with my husband when the weather is a little warmer. Adam & I have both been to California a few times in the past 3 years, but have never had enough time to do any sight seeing together (usually he's with his rugby team and I'm with my sister-in-law taking a little day trip before the rugby game starts), so someday I want to take a trip with him out here so we can experience some of these things together.

2 Comments:

  • It looks beautiful. I can't believe they even had one roller coaster open. Why would they have just one that you can ride? I thought they wither shut down or the didn't. Must be a Californian thing.

    So glad that ya'll are getting to enjoy it out there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 AM  

  • So who's your new friend, Kik? ;)

    Man, I am way jealous of your mini-road trip. Remember that one of my 40 Things Before 40 is a roadtrip with you in a saucy convertible? Maybe we could go to northern CA.

    By Blogger Katie, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home