Monday, August 06, 2007

Great Neighbors

I just have to say, I love our neighbors! Well, some of them at least (we don't know all of them). Max and Sue...they are the best!! They have been so nice to us since the day we moved in. They were very welcoming at church and we've spend a few nights in the driveway chatting with Max.

Last week we came home to freshly picked corn and tomatoes on our doorstep from their HUGE garden. I cooked some of the corn last night and it was good and I cut up one of the tomatoes for a salad tonight and it was DELICIOUS! I forgot how good home-grown vegetables, especially tomatoes, really are!!

Tonight while I was making dinner, Max called me and told me he had more corn for us so I stepped out the back door and met him at the fence where he gave me yet more corn and tomatoes. Then, he asked if we like plums. Hmm...turns out we do. Well he gave us a ton of them. It filled up my whole strainer. I need to pace myself on them because they are SO GOOD!

Adam came home just after that and I asked him if he would mow the lawn tonight, despite the fact that he'd worked hard all day. Our lawn was getting really long and our next door neighbor Aaron kinda gets a little uneasy when the lawn gets long. He's a nice neighbor too, we really like him, but last time our lawn was long, he came to the fence and asked us if we'd pay his son to mow it. We ended up paying him because a.) Adam really didn't have time to mow it, b.) the lawn mower we have needs to be fixed (the engine is in a few pieces in our garage), and c.) we already borrowed Aaron's lawn mower once and felt like he'd much rather have his son use it and make a few extra bucks than have us use it for free. Plus, we like the kid, so we gave him $20 to mow the lawn, do the trim, and pull the weeds on the side of the driveway. However, we decided that that would be the only time we did that, because we want to save our money. Adam likes to mow the lawn too so we just need to make sure we get our mower fixed and we'll be good.

So anyway, long story getting longer, I went over to Max & Sue's house to ask if we could borrow their lawn mower. They invited me right in for tea and scrumpets! Oh wait, nevermind. But they did invite me in and we ended up chatting about the baby, the house, and various other things for like 20 minutes. They are just so nice! I'm glad they are our neighbors, they are very good people. They let us borrow it (he even brought it over) and now our lawn is mowed! Yay!

We feel very grateful to have such great neighbors! Tomorrow I'm going to make them cookies to say thanks, so hopefully they turn out yummy.

2 Comments:

  • Good neighbors make such a difference in the happiness level of a home.

    By Blogger Katie, at 2:38 PM  

  • My mouth is literally watering at the thought of garden grown corn, tomatoes and plums, now I am homesick!

    By Blogger Maxwell (Mad)House, at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home