Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fall

It is getting to be that time of year again. I can't believe that fall is just around the corner. Sunday evening Adam and I went on a walk and it was only like 8:00 and I totally wanted a jacket! What happened to summer that was here and it was still 80 degrees at 10:00 pm? Monday morning as I was driving to work at 7:45 am and I actually turned the heater on in the car. AHH! I love summer, it is my favorite season! I do like this time of year though, it brings back so many different memories and feelings. I like the smells and the colors and the crispness of the air. Also Adam's birthday is in October and mine is in November and I like birthdays. It is that blasted winter that I don't love so much, but it too has it's pluses. We were married in December and I like that part. Christmas is always fun too. And, we will have our brand-new baby then, so it will be a great time.

Hmm....what else. ...

My job. Oi. Ok, here's the lowdown. Back in June they hired 8 people to work in SLC only and never have to travel and put them on a nice salary. I, however, wasn't one of those people, even though I am well qualified. I didn't really want to think that it was because of my pregnancy, but even other people in the company were telling me that they thought that I should sue because even to them it was obvious why I wasn't hired. We just let it go and figured it was probably for the best and that we'd be fine without it.

Then, in August they announced that they were hiring 10-15 more people and I really wanted to get one of those positions. However, my boss told me that he couldn't offer me a position because (and I quote), "I don't think I can offer you one of the positions because I know that once you hold that baby you're not going to want to come back to work". I was totally taken back that he actually said that and said, "Well, you're probably right, I might not want to come back to work, but I don't think that that's going to be financially feasible for us right now. I plan on coming back to work after I have the baby so I would still like to be considered." Still though, no job offer or even an interview for that matter. He kept recruiting other people from other companies and interviewing other people and hiring like it was going out of style and never offering to interview me. I felt like it wasn't right so I talked to HR about it.

Well long story short, I talked to the state labor commission and decided to file a discrimination complaint because I was not given an opportunity solely due to my pregnancy and the boss's preconceived notions about it. I told the HR manager that I was going to file it and then conveniently I had the regional sales manager calling me telling me she wanted me to come back and work in SLC. I met with her today and she offered me the job. Interesting, eh? Well, I'm going to take it, even though I have my concerns about it. It will be a lot of pressure and much more responsibility, but the money is good and there will be no travel so I'll be home with Adam every night which will be nice. I hope it goes well!!! I am nervous, but I hope it all works out.

That is about it for now, besides pregnancy stuff, which is much more fun and is updated on my other blog, so go check it out!

3 Comments:

  • I so totally thought you would not take that job. I really hope it works out. Our company is so awesome....:)

    By Blogger Griffee Realty Group, at 10:31 AM  

  • Trish, I am laughing my butt off! I only took it because of the money, which we really need, especially during the next 9 weeks.

    By Blogger Kari, at 12:18 PM  

  • Wow, what a frustrating experience. I'm glad you spoke up -that wouldn't be very easy. It'll be SO nice for you to be home in the evenings! Especially when there's Adam AND a sweet little baby to come home to.

    By Blogger Paige, at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home