Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Scary Drive

We went to Idaho this past weekend to visit my family. We hadn't been there since Jayci was born and I have to go back to work next week so we figured this would be an ok time.

We meant to leave here by 4:00 but we really didn't get on the road til like 5:00...surprise surprise. The traffic northbound on I-15 was out of contol...it took us an hour and a half to get to Bountiful. Yikes.

It was snowing a little but nothing bad. We stopped in Brigham City to get some food and fuel. Jayci was doing so well, she slept the whole time in the pickup. (We borrowed Dan's Dodge Ram). We had driven in four wheel drive the entire time but had taken it off when we were in Brigham City. We forgot to put it back in and Adam thought he had to be stopped to put it in so we just kept going.

We had just crossed the over the Utah/Idaho border and all of a sudden we hit a patch of black ice and before we knew it we were spinning out of control. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. The back end of the pickup just came out from behind us and there was no correcting it. Adam did really well by not over correcting or doing anything to make it worse. All we could see was snow flying all around and we were completely out of control. I thought for sure we were going to roll, but we came to a stop in the median after what seemed like forever. I was honestly more scared than I have ever been, and not for my own life, but for Jayci. When we stopped I checked her and she was sound asleep as though nothing had even happened. I was so relieved!

We had to call a tow truck to get out because we were so far in the middle and the snow was deep. Also, it was just a recipe for disaster because we were going too fast for those conditions (even though we were under the speed limit), we weren't in 4WD, we didn't have anything in the bed of the truck to weigh it down, and the tires on the truck were completely unsafe because they're totally bald.

I am so thankful that Heavenly Father watched over us. Adam and I both have no doubt in our minds that He protected us. It would have been so easy for us to roll that truck if any single thing had gone any other way. We're so blessed to be ok and that nothing worse happened.

7 Comments:

  • That is so scary! I am glad you guys are okay!

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 11:10 PM  

  • Wow! I'm glad you guys are okay! Trish's Aunt Kay just rolled her truck in Oregon this weekend but luckily they were safe too. Scary times for traveling!!!!

    By Blogger Maxwell (Mad)House, at 11:07 AM  

  • tell Adam don't ever do that again!! Eventhough I say he stinks, I actually kinda like him...a lot, and YOU and JAYCI!!! (I love you guys) Anyway, I'm glad you are safe!

    By Blogger *Natalie*, at 12:04 PM  

  • Geeze! I remember you saying you guys hit some ice, but I didn't realize it was that scary of an ordeal! Glad it turned out OK.

    Good seeing ya this weekend by the way!

    By Blogger Paige, at 1:39 PM  

  • Wow, fun, was it right outside of snowville? Lonny and I did it going home one year without any kids and still to this day I make sure our truck is okay, I even made him buy new tires to go up at this past Thanksgiving. Black Ice is scary and that is what I love about living close to Vegas, no snow no ice!

    By Blogger Tami, at 8:59 PM  

  • oh my goodness! I am so thankful you are safe. I am sorry you had to go through that. I will call you soon!

    By Blogger Lindsey Lou, at 9:29 PM  

  • My stomach is turning just reading this. I am so sorry you had that scary experience. I am glad you are all okay!

    By Blogger Gina, at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home